One of the most beautiful places in the Lombardy region of Italy, Bellagio, and Lake Como is incomplete without your Pearl tour.
It is located halfway between Lake Bellagio’s two southern branches and is famous worldwide for its beautiful waterfront villas (Villa Serbelloni or Villa Melzi).
Here is what we wrote about the best things to do in Bellagio. Most of the attractions are located within walking distance, making Bellagio perfect for a day trip.
Are you ready to get started? That is what awaits you at Lake Como, Bellagio!
Villa Melzi, near Bellagio, is an important place of interest. Constructed at the beginning of the 19th century, it is still in private hands. Beautiful botanical gardens, museums, and chapels are open to the public.
The gardens of Villa Melzi have a large number of exotic trees and plants. They are beautiful in spring when azaleas and rhododendrons are in full bloom.
These well-maintained botanical gardens are worth seeing in other seasons and give you access to the stunning views of Lake Como.
Here, visitors can choose between different routes as these gardens combine many elements of artistic, cultural, and historical interest. The entry price is €6.50 (cash payment only).
If you are visiting Bellagio between April and October, do not miss this place.
Alternatively, you can see the gardens of Villa Serbelloni. We thought the garden was part of Bellagio’s most luxurious hotel with the same name, but apparently, it is not. The parks belong to the Rockefeller Foundation and locate on a hilltop. The hotel is privately owned and found by the lake.
Besides, you can visit the gardens of Villa Serbelloni with a guided tour only. It runs at scheduled times and requires at least six people. The door is near the church.
Visit Pescallo village
Visiting Pescallo is a great thing to do in Bellagio. This old fishing village drags behind a steep hill, and so it hides from the crowds. It’s a great place to escape the Belgian bustle.
In summer, Pescallo is a popular place for various water sports. You can rent a kayak, SUP, or take a boat ride on the lake.
Pescallo is a short distance from Bellagio (10-15 minutes). First, make your way to the town hall (Commune de Bellague) near the ferry station. Note that Bellagio Pascallo’s walk is uphill and requires some narrow streets and stairwells.
Spend a day at the beach
There are many areas where you can go swimming near Bellagio, but the most accessible and most comfortable seems to be the private beach club, Ludo di Belgio. It offers a small sandy beach and an outdoor swimming pool with some of the lake’s most spectacular views.
In our opinion, this place is reasonably priced, so if you go to Bellagio in the summer and are looking to experience the best Italian beach culture, you can give it a try.
Alternatively, you can try San Giovanni’s public beach, keeping in mind that these are all rocks, so if you want to swim here, you can tie your water shoes. Outdoor swimming is not a year-round activity.
Go for shopping
You can enjoy exploring the surrounding streets and walkways. There’s everything from jewelry stores to luxury designer boutiques and hats. Shopping in Bellagio is the most important thing to join in the fun!
Take a cooking class.
If you desire to experience local life and food in Bellagio, take an Italian cuisine class in Bellagio. Most of these delicious home-cooked meals are prepared after cooking lessons. The tourists also have several pleasant surprises that will make Bellagio a genuinely memorable experience.
Typical food to eat in Bellagio
One of Lake Como’s local features is the risotto with fried perch, and Bellagio is a great place to try it. Leave the tourist-oriented restaurant along the waterfront and find an excellent local restaurant, a little off the beaten path.
We would recommend the Ristorante Bilacus, which serves delicious risotto and a variety of local dishes. In the warmer months, you can have lunch with beautiful flowers on their deserted outdoor terrace.
How to get to Bellagio, From Milan to Bellagio
If you are already in Italy, going to Bellagio is relatively straightforward. First, take the train to Varenna from Milan Central Station.
You have to buy your train tickets online before your trip, and the process was easy and straightforward. Hint: In Italy, train fares increase over time, so book your tickets when you know your travel dates. From Varenna, go to Bellagio by ferry. It takes 15 minutes and costs €4.60 per passenger to ride the ferry.
Where to stay in Bellagio?
Bellagio has many options for those who want to spend a weekend or a few days relaxing on Lake Como. There are luxury hotels right on the waterfront, with a sense of modern accommodation in boutique hotels for most people.
These are the best hotels in Bellagio.
- The Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni is one of Lake Como’s oldest and most beautiful hotels and Bellagio’s only 5-star luxury hotel. The hotel has a great location through the lake and beautiful gardens where you can even get here. It is a place loved by the rich and famous. Rumor has it that Robert De Niro is a frequent guest here. Double room prices at this hotel start at 500-600EUR / night.
- Hotel Belvedere is located on the Bellagio Mountains and offers impressive views over the whole area, but only a short distance from the city. That is a charming hotel with spacious rooms and excellent amenities such as a heated swimming pool, sauna, and in some rooms, hot Jacuzzis. Guests are offered a room with a view of the lake.
- Hotel Du Lac is a charming small 3-star hotel located in the lower part of Bellagio, close to the lake, shops, and restaurants. The location is excellent, and travelers are amazed at Bellagio’s mid-budget accommodation.
Practical information and tips for going to Bellagio in Lake Como
● Visit in Collar season (April-May or September-October).
Bellagio can be crowded in the summer and completely deserted in the winter. The best time to visit Bellagio is in the fall or spring. You will find pleasant temperatures for sightseeing, low prices, and fewer people.
● Pre-book accommodation
Bellagio is the most famous city on Lake Como.
- If you are not sure how many days to stay in Bellagio, consider this. You can see the town in just a few hours, so you can also take a day trip from Milan to Bellagio. But if you want to experience the best of Lake Como, you should stay in Bellagio for at least 2-3 days.
- There are many ways to get to Bellagio (just 90 minutes from Milan). One of the best things to do is to reach Bellagio by boat. The easiest way to get to Bellagio from Milan is by train to Varenna, followed by a short ferry ride to Bellagio.
- You don’t need a car here. Parking can be a hassle in high weather, so if you’re traveling by car, make sure you have parking in your home.